Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Ordinary Story of Patrick Henry An EXTRAORIDNARY Dog

Seems to me that the powers that be, fate, karma, kismet or whatever you believe in were at work on Friday June 8th, and because of this... This is where Patrick Henry's story BEGINS, rather then where it ENDS........


I had for personal and health reasons been moving further and further away from actual hands on volunteering at our local KCMO shelter for several months, which makes this story all the more interesting. 


I had spent the whole day on Friday June 8th at the shelter working with their rescue coordinator to show her some tips and tricks to help her with her job.  I had taken a little break and had walked to the back area of the shelter where the vet clinic area is.  I was standing there chit chatting with someone when in walked one of the Animal Control Officers...  I looked down and was immediately in shock.  At the end of a little blue nylon slip lead was this...

Of course my first thoughts and words were the same.... "OMG, poor baby, what happened?" and I offered him the back of my hand and knelt down to say hello.  ACO (animal control officer) said he didn't know what had happened to him.  He said he was a cruelty seizure out of someones back yard. 

I followed along to the vet clinic where we all squatted down and began to love on this boy.  His face was just nothing but a bloody infected mess... not a small spot, literally his entire face, even under his fur we could see he had infected, raw wounds on his arms and legs as well, yet his tail was still wagging.  He allowed ALL of us to offer him up some lovin.  Of course we all gave him a once over and made a guess about what we thought had happened to him.  Anything from a chemical being thrown on him, to an attack by a dog or dogs, an attack by a rogue gang of raccoons, to an auto-immune disease with secondary infection that had not been treated.  I stayed with this boy only about 10 min or so before he was walked to the back and into the "bite section" to await his fate..... not because had bitten anyone but understandably this is hardly a dog you could display in the main kennel room and hardly humane to keep a dog with this severity of injury in an overcrowded shelter.

I went on about my day and was there until close and while I could kick myself for not making one last pass through to see him before I left... he was right there... stuck in my mind and it didn't take long before he had wiggled his lil ooozy face into my heart as well. 

I left the shelter thinking of this dog...  tearing up as I drove away thinking how bad this boy looked and how he must have been in unspeakable pain yet his tail continued to wag.  In spite of the fact that he had horrible wounds and infection all over his emaciated body, he STILL wagged his tail, he still felt that we (the human race) were okay.  Whoever had done this to him and or allowed him to get in this condition... well THIS boy didn't hold it against ALL of us.  I mean how amazing is that???? 

When I have had to deal with cases of abuse and or neglect, I have a bad habit of letting my mind go to places I wish it didn't.  Often times for me... it is not the injuries themselves that break my heart it's what this poor boy must have thought when his people put something on him that burned him or that he sat in a back yard getting more and more infected, wounds getting larger and larger and his people looked at him and never reached out to help him.  Did he think, what have I done????  What did I do that made you not love me even enough to rinse off my battered bleeding body?  What must this boy have thought? And even after all of that, he still sees the good in people... 

Anyway, I spent the next day with mental images of this boy going through my head and trying to decide if there was even anything I could do.  And then.... then late Saturday night I received a text from the one of the management team/trainer at the shelter with a "preview" of the kill list.  She had asked me to take a look and make sure the pics had attached properly and as I rolled down through the email... there he was....  Don't get me wrong, I hate that my local high volume shelter has to kill for space but I did understand why this boy was placed on there immediately.  The over capacity gazillion year old dilapidated illness harboring shelter was certainly no place for this boy to be in.  The thought of this boy being rescued from his back yard by ACO and making his way out, only to be placed in the non public section of the shelter to be euth'd at 4pm on Tuesday just didn't work for me.  I just thought he needed one chance, so I asked if I could pick him up first thing Monday and take him to my vet.  Permission was granted and away we went.

I also saw his picture that night posted out on facebook because he was on the "kill" list.  I hadn't paid any attention to the photo caption that read "Charlie"...  but I had studied his picture and had already dubbed him Patrick...  he just really looked like a Patrick.  I busied myself googling and yahooing inspirational people names because that's what I was INSPIRED by this boys spirit and his ability to forgive.   Those searches paired with the fact that I already KNEW he was a Patrick I quickly came up with Patrick Henry... after Patrick Henry Hughes, a young man whose family was featured on Extreme Makeover Home Edition, very very inspirational young man and family.  This link might let you see how Patrick Henry for this boy... just works.  Click the link and check out the video, not just to see this young man but to see the impact he has on others and his amazing positive outlook on live despite the challenges that he faces every day.  "They tell me there's more to life then just what I can see".... I think our Patrick gets that statement.

 I arrived at the shelter bright and early Monday morning and Shannon went in to get Patrick Henry for me.  He came out, tail a waggin, went on a brief walk with us to do his morning business... and yes, this boy is housebroken to a fault.  He had not pottied in his cage at the shelter all weekend.  So he did his biz and we headed back to my jeep to load up.  I opened the back gate of the jeep where I had a big blankie all fixed up for him.  He immediately put his front paws up on the back, stood there for a second or two then turned his head and looked at us as if to say... "Hey.. little help here, this is kinda a big jump".  Shannon gave him a boost and instantly he just curled up on the blankie. 

My vet clinic is only about 10 min from the shelter but the whole trip I never saw him or heard a peep.  He was content to be curled up on the blankie, enjoying the peace and solitude of my car.  Now of course I had called ahead to my vet clinic to let them know I was bringing in this poor boy that we had no clue what was wrong.  They are always willing to take on a challenge. 

Once there in the vet clinic with both Dr. Worthley and Dr. Bendur present I was hoping for an "AH HA" moment but no such moment existed... still a mystery and many scenarios it could be.  Now I should back up and tell you all another little something about Patrick Henry... it's very cliche but he had me at hello.  This boy just got me... yup went straight for the heart.  Patrick Henry is the kind of dog you look at and you can see straight into his soul.... or maybe it's that he can see into yours but man... he gets ya.


Anyway, I told them about how sweet this boy is and in spite of what he must be going through, he is loving and affectionate.  I told them I wanted to do what we could for him.  I went on to tell the vets that IF he took a turn for the worse or we determined that is was cruel to keep going then I would not return him to the shelter.  I would be with him there at the clinic if we needed to help him to the bridge.  We discussed at length what I wanted done at this point and what needed to be done.  He was given a thorough physical exam and we decided to sedate him and scrub down his wounds and remove dead tissue... there was a lot of that.  Here are some pics of what he looked like before during and after this process.



Patrick's right arm                                                     Patricks left arm after it was shaved
Patricks sweet face                                          Left rear leg
Patrick still knocked out after being cleaned up and slathered down with Silvadene

Honestly at this point in the process we still don't know what has caused all of this injury.  We did a complete blood workup, all of which was basically normal.  Of course we heartworm tested him and no way he could catch a break.. he was positive.  At this point I am completely smitten with this boy so I know I need to find out what is going on and see if we can "fix" it.  My vets also took a sample to send off for biopsy to help determine if this is an auto-immune thing or what....  so now we wait....  up to 10 to 14 days for results.  He is on antibiotics and his wounds are being cleaned daily and Silvadene applied.  He is being such a good boy there and has already made a couple of wonderful friends. 

His friend Julie, she comes and takes him out for a walk and just keeps him company and his friend Nikki was able to come meet him yesterday and is following his care... also offering her home to foster once he is well enough to go.  Patrick Henry makes friends no matter where he goes.  He's so stinkin cute.. on Monday as we sat in the lobby at JCAH, there were 2 ladies who came in to drop off records.. Patrick Henry immediately stood like a gentleman would when a lady enters the room and his tail went crazy.  He was sure these 2 lovely ladies were there to see him....  Thank goodness they noticed him... they too could see to look past the horrific physical appearance, they stood chatting with him for a few min, gave him a pat on the head and told him they were praying for him.  He wagged his tail and watched them leave then curled back up at my feet.   I always hear stories about the "angels" who walk among us... and I have to wonder......  he has a purpose here and he was NOT meant to meet his fate in the back room of the shelter.  Too many factors aligned for this. I ordinarily would not have been at the shelter.. and even if I was I would not ordinarily have been back in the back...  I mean had Patrick been brought in 15 mins earlier or 15 mins later I would never had met him.  If I didn't have an amazing, wonderful, fantastic, phenomenal vet clinic (Jackson County Animal Hospital) I would not have had a place to take him.  So all of these things that were not part of my ordinary day... make me believe that Patrick Henry is not ordinary at all... he is EXTRAORDINARY.  I can't wait to continue to tell his story....

Patrick Henry already looking better after Day 2

I'm going to ad more to his story later tonight but for now I need to get to the hospital to see him and pic up another undergoing hw treatment.  I do want to thank everyone for their healing thoughts, prayers etc and for all the amazing people who are already donating to his care.  We have set up a chipin for him located at Patrick Henry's Fund  On my way to the hospital I am stopping to pick him up a great big ol bone and a big cushy bed... from all of his friends!!!!!  

Big Hugs,

Carolyn & Patrick Henry

47 comments:

  1. Poor thing but I know that this story will have a wonderful ending. I will never understand how people can treat a dog like this, whether it be abuse or just neglect of a medical condition. Thank you for being so kind and taking him under your wings:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why this happened to him either. Everyone who meets him falls in love with him and he is just certain that anyone coming through the door is there to see him. He is a sweet loving boy. Thank you so much for reading his story and for caring about him.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for all you do Carolyn. Do you think you will keep him. God bless you! xo Sharon

      Delete
    3. Sharon, I'm sure you would have done the same! You always do! God bless you too! xo Victoria ;)

      Delete
    4. Carolyn god bless you, it's so heartbreaking all these Dog's need so much help! sharing his story, praying for ONLY a love filled life from now on!

      Delete
    5. When I first saw the picture I started to cry, I will never understand how people can be so evil. I am so happy to chip in, it is the least I can do. You have put your heart on the line to try and help this poor baby. Thank god for strong, loving people like you that can help this poor puppy.

      Delete
  2. Carolyn, I can see God so strongly in this story! Thank you SO much for being His hands and feet and now His mouth for Patrick Henry. My heart has been touched by this story and I know I'm not alone in that. I thank God and you that Patrick Henry will never again have to live like he was before the day that you met him. I'm praying for strength for both of you...and hugs and kisses and snuggles and sweet words for Patrick Henry. I hope he feels them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thank you so much for your kind words and for the prayers for Patrick Henry. He is a very sweet loving boy... I know he feels all the love that is being sent his way!!!!

      Delete
  3. I look forward to reading more about this lucky guy. Thank younger all you doing for him. It feels good to know there are good people out there and so glad younger there to see him. Prayers and hugs from KY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughts and prayers are with Patrick Henry and with all of you who are doing so much for him. Give him some loving pats for me if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers going up for Patrick Henry! He is the epitome of what we should all hold in our hearts....love and forgiveness. He is setting an example for us....just as Jesus did. May God bless him with a speedy and remarkable recovery...oh...and an awesome, new, forever home, of course! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are a very rare and caring individual, bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. such a great story of a wonderful given a second chance. Bless you. How is he doing today? It has been a about a week right? Is he healing and happy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is Day 5 for Patrick Henry. If you look to the right at the top there is another entry for him from yesterday complete with pics... he is doing much better and healing quite remarkably. He is an amazing boy.

      Delete
  8. Carolyn, you truly are a special person, and Patrick Henry is a special dog. My thoughts and prayers are with both of you. I look forward to watching Patrick Henry's full recovery. Neither one of you are ordinary in any way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn, you ROCK!!! My heart is with you and Patrick Henry (LOVE the name). May you 2 have many happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patrick Henry is ADORABLE and I am so glad you found him, are helping him, and are loving him back to good health. You are Patrick Henry's Angel for sure. This sweet boy deserves the best home possible...to love him and care for him the rest of his sweet life...I look forward to updates on this beautiful furbaby :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree, Patrick Henry has a mission to full fill. I am so glad he is getting the help he needs and I look forward to reading more updates!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of Nature has placed in our power... the battle, sir, is not to the strong alone it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.
    Patrick Henry

    ReplyDelete
  13. God love you, Carolyn and God love Patrick Henry. You both are such an inspiration. Thank you so much for saving Patrick and for showing him compassion, love and care. Please keep us updated on his progress as I will be following your blog. He will be in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery and a life full of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank God for people like you! Talk about angels walking this Earth! Patrick Henry is very blessed to have you in his life. I will be praying all along his journey to a happy, healthy life! God Bless you both (and your vet's office as well)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless angels like you.Carolyn and Patrick Henry you are both such an inspiration to us all.Never give up how hard the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. God bless you Carolyn for saving Patrick Henry! You were definitely at the right place at the right time.... a godsend!!! He will be in my thoughts & prayers that he has a speedy recovery & many years of happiness! You are truly an angel from God!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANK YOU SO MUCH CAROLYN FOR YOUR LOVING HEART. I KNOW THAT PATRICK HENRY IS GOING TO PULL THROUGH AND BE YOUR BEST BUDDY EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  18. God bless both of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Extraordinary people and extraordinary dogs are meant to be together. This dog will teach you life lessons. He's already started.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was destiny that brought you two together. Praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this story. My heart aches for all the neglected animals so this helps my ache to be lessened, thank you again for taking care of this wonderful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carolyn, no one could ever say you do not understand UNconditional love... What you did was fantastic. You gave a living soul a second chance at life. Sounds simple doesnt it...? Well its not, most people would have kept walking but you didnt. There is a reason and a purpose for this beautiful wonderful baby. I wish you both a lifetime of love, health and happiness. You both deserve it... in what ever comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow is Patrick ever lucky that you could rescue him from his situation!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm in love with this dog already. The part that really got next to me was where patrick refused to potty in his crate. He sounds like my female miniature longhaired dachshund whom I love more than any other dog I have owned.

    I'd love to donate but can't. I'd love to adopt him but i have too many critters now and they are all slightly jealous of each other. My dachshund sometimes takes on the role of law enforcement officer by barking at any critter who violates the house rules.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will be praying for Patrick Henry that he heals quickly and gets all the love and attention that he never had in his life! For a dog that is in that bad of shape, to wag his tail in spite of the shape is a true testimony to how much animals are loyal to humans!! God Bless the woman who saved this doggie from death and is willing to love him the rest of his life!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much Carolyn for saving Patrick Henry's life. You are a true angel! I pray for Patrick Henry and a speedy recovery and for a forever home where he can play, be loved and enjoy life as he was meant to. Thanks so much to the Veterinarian and staff for your knowledge and help in knowing what to do to save his life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh My God! This is so heartbreaking what pain and agony this poor boy went through. I hope somebody followed up with the people where he was. It could even have been dog fighting with his face like that. But my goodnes, U ANGEL OF MERCY! God loves his animals just like we do.. And I know our prayers will be answered for Patrick Henry. And that you are such a wonderful person for coming to his rescue. Prayers for you also.
    Now, if I could afford it, or even get to where these pitiful babies are that I see from all of the different site. I would have a farm full. My heart belongs to them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for caring and helping Patrick to the life he's entitled to.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a wonderful story... I believe these things happen to open our hearts and when we listen and respond, we become our true purpose. Thank you Carolyn! And those 2 little old ladies...well, they may very well have been angels...and maybe Patrick Henry is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love you and thank you. You and Patrick are what dreams are mad e of. Hug and kiss, mwaw !

    ReplyDelete
  31. This might seem like an odd suggestion, but look into Essiac. It's a tea / tincture made from healing herbs that helps stimulate the immune system. A Canadian nurse, Rene Caisse got the recipe from local Native Indians and used it to help cancer patients. I saw somewhere there was a formulation for dogs too. If poor Patrick Henry has an infection from chemical burns or other skin ripping activity, he'll need a strong immune system.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Carolyn - you are truly an angel on earth & Patrick Henry crossed your path for a reason. Thank you for "hearing" his cry for help. I seriously think he should be a poster dog for animal cruelty. We turn our heads away from this sort of thing way to many times. I just pray that the people he was taken away from were arrested for animal curelty or there's some sort of punishment for them. People that do this need serious counseling & should never be allowed to own animals again. God bless you Carolyn & all of you who help save & speak up for animals.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I will sooo pray for Patrick and I will also pray for you! So I hear that you believe that he was brought to you for a reason if you...friend think hard - the truth also stands that the angel here is you too- for Patrick. That is the reason why everything worked out as it did so perfectly and coincidentally . You were there to SAVE Patrick my dear friend.You see, there are so few compassionate people in the world as is but... even more so for animals.It takes a great deal of courage and selflessness to care for beings, but even more... for the wounded and the near hopeless. You are an inspiration for people as myself "a buddingand joyous activist and animal lover.For your story... I am so grateful!! You give strength and inspiration when it was most needed.In this case more beings than one as Patrick but myself.I will pray for you all! Thank you for what you did and do!Lovingly grateful- Vivi.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Look at the difference in how he holds his ears - from the first day til now. THAT speaks volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Could we have an update ~ please. Has this dog been put down?

    ReplyDelete
  36. How do I subscribe to your blog? I would like to follow his progress.

    ReplyDelete
  37. How do I subscribe to your blog? I would like to follow his progress.

    ReplyDelete
  38. God bless you for having the compassion and love to help this defenseless dog....i will never understand how a human can take their anger and hate feelings out on an animal.....dogs are so very resilient and I pray that he will make a total recovery...God bless

    ReplyDelete
  39. wonderdogmax@onemain.comJuly 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM

    I was touched by your story about Patrick Henry. I believe that you were meant to rescue and save Patrick Henry. I am so glad he is doing better. It is so hard to believe that there are such cruel people out there that could harm that sweet trusting soul. God bless you. This world could use more people like you. Patrick Henry, I hope you are able to recover 100% and find a good home. I hope someday that there will no be a need for kill shelters. Every dog has a special person looking for them. Here's to having a happy ending for all lost "pets" out there.

    ReplyDelete