Monday, June 18, 2012

UPDATE: June 18th Patrick Henry

Well I have to say once again that I am still amazingly, grateful and humbled by the outpouring of support for this special boy.  Emails, messages, posts, donations and well wishes continue to come in and I am blown away by it all.  Thank you all again so very much.



I headed out first thing this morning to go hang out with Patrick Henry... wanted to go early because it's 8 million degrees here in Kansas City today.... well maybe not 8 million but it sure feels close.  Anyway, I was greeted by a sort of grin and a very happy tail wag....  and that was just the staff....  hehehe  okay okay, I know, stick to my day job. 

Patrick Henry was very glad to see me.  He sat patiently in his kennel so I could hook his leash up and then he immediately took me to the back door at the hospital... he knows his way around there pretty good.  We went out and he did his business... such a good boy, no accidents at all... he is almost painfully housebroken, think he would hold it for days if he had to.  Oh and I must share a "business" story with you all... some will appreciate the humor, so will probably think I'm "not quite right" for sharing BUT... I wish I had my phone out and on video this morning.  When Patrick Henry does his number 2 business he prefers to back up to a tree or bush to do it...  it's the funniest thing... he just backs up against something and takes care of things hehehehe

Anyway, since I didn't get to visit him yesterday I was pretty amazed once again at how great he looks.  The day I took him to the clinic he weighed in right at 50 pounds.  Over the course of the next few days going through all of his treatments, being sedated daily  and just in general not feeling well he was down to 47 pounds.  Today he was 50.6 pounds and he was peppier (is that a word?) then ever and just so happy. 

Of course as I said in a previous update, he received his first immiticide injection for his heartworms on Wednesday this past week.  He also had a round (3 days) of Panacur due to his whip and roundworm infestation of which he completed Sunday.  And his poo I referred to earlier, looked great by the way hehehe  We are still waiting the results of his biopsy... grrr I hate waiting.  He has not had to be sedated for wound care for the last several days and allows everyone to do whatever they need to do for him.  They have switched him from the silvadene to Vetericyn VF spray for his wounds and of course is still on his antibiotics and prednisone as part of his after hw treatment protocol.  I can't believe how good this boy is, he doesn't dig or scratch at his wounds at all.. (knock on wood, of course).  Here are a couple of pics from today of how great the wounds on his arms look




We sat on a blankie outside for an hour or so today and just snuggled.  When it started getting really hot he happily went back in... of course we had to camp out in the lobby for a while just in case he had visitors.. still thinks everyone coming through the door is there to see him. 

I discovered today that he is an excellent "sitter".  Sits really well on command and will work for treats hehehe  When I brought him back in, I walked him to the scale, he is a master scale getter on'er too, steps right up, turns around and promptly sits.... man can this boy be any better?????  Here are a couple of short videos, showing off his purse nosing skills and sit and take a treat nice skills.



Patrick Henry and I's friend Nikki and his new friend Kaylene came by to visit him after they got off work today.  They took him out for an extra potty break and Nikki even got kisses.   I think Kaylene feel in love too....  Nikki text me just before the vet clinic closed and told me she noticed a lump on his neck so of course in a panic I called the staff and Jackson County... Dr. Worthley check it out and said it was a swollen lymph node and that it was nothing to worry about....  WHEW....  thank goodness.  Now that being said, they will of course be keeping an eye on it. 


Not long after we put Patrick's story out there we had several rescue offers and a few forever home offers.  We have had some wonderful emails with a gal in PA... Shirl..  sounds like this might just be the "right" home for Patrick Henry...  of course it's going to be several weeks until he completes his heartworm treatment etc before we can even consider moving forward with him going to a real forever home.  But at least initially it looks like it would be a great placement for him. 


Thanks so much everyone for continuing to keep up with Patrick.  Be sure to look toward the top on the right so you can click and read his previous blog posts and of course please stop by his facebook page and click "like" and leave him a message.  His face book is Patrick Henry's Facebook Page

Love & Hugs,
Patrick Henry & Carolyn


9 comments:

  1. Great update Carolyn - love your blog posts - I must have the same sense of humor, he he!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes my day, keep posting , I look forward to seeing Patrick Henry's progress and pray for him everyday. He is such a wonderful dog, whoever ends up with him will truly have an angel by their side for life:) Hugs and Kisses Patrick
    Much Love,
    Marguerite
    Victor, NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome news, Carolyn! Thank you for the updates and all of your hard work and dedication with Patrick! Prayers going up daily for this angel on earth!
    Hugs and blessings!
    Terrie
    Hammond, LA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad for what you're doing for one dog, and for the exposure that dog issues must be getting. It's rough in the trenches for caregivers like you and your brothers and sisters fighting the same fight. You know how to do it; staying strong and reaching out for help when you need it! Skin and fur creatures are fortunate to know you!

    Terri
    St. Louis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn - Susan T. has said you are as wonderful as you seem to be - so let me just add - GOOD JOB - taking this sweet boy and caring enough to help him heal. One down, about a million to go!

    And as my grandma used to say, "Bless your heart". As for Patrick, he seems to be doing well and I'm sending good thoughts and prayers to him from good ol' Topeka, KS!

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - Day by Day by Day for this fella :) What a sweet, handsome boy he is!! Keep up the great work all. Patrick Henry - you just concentrate on getting better as your LUCKY forever family is patiently waiting for you :) Your Mom was my Mom at one time too, Thank god she came along when she did - just like she did for you my fur friend!! Sending paw hugs from Iowa!!!

    Love Sarge

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm checking on Patrick Henry (and his angel Carolyn) daily...as well I'm keeping people countrywide included on his progress. This dog is so loved! Do you want any company from Springfield to spend some time with him on a weekend? If we could get a movie made about the two of you maybe we could spread the word to more on how people should respect their animals...including a scenario of the worst punishment possible for whoever owned this dog previously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat in Wichita, KSJune 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

    Thanks for the wonderful updates, Carolyn! We had a dog that backed up to stuff to poop on it too! Was the funniest thing! Keep up the good work, Carolyn and all the caregivers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Carolyn for all you do! I'm so glad this dog has been taken away from those horrible people and is getting the love he deserves. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete